Translate

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Thinking

          Just from personal observation of people over the years, I have developed a perception, subjective of course, that we all are mentally lazy, including me–especially me. I know for a fact that I am guilty of this impediment–seriously so. Since I don’t dare be alone with this defect (my ego won’t tolerate it), I must assume we are all in this together, including those much smarter–we are all this way. Aren't we? It is just a question of how much more or less. Isn’t it? Think about it.

          What brings the subject to my mind just now is that I have been reading a book (I’m not quite finished yet) by Dr. Daniel Kahneman, titled Thinking, Fast and Slow; and, what do you know? Surprise! I am vindicated. Dr. Kahneman tells us we have two kinds of thinking, Type 1 and Type 2. I’ll probably not be able to explain this as well as he; but, nevertheless, I’ll do my best. These are my words and interpretation.

As I understand, our minds constantly operate under Type 1. We think and make decisions fast; Type 1 is automatic, operating off the information and experience we have accumulated and stored in our mental data base over time–whatever that may be. You have heard many times the statement, “Garbage in, Garbage Out”. This is where that comes into play for better or for worse. You get out of your mind what you put into it. Jesus says, “As you think, so you are”. Type 2, on the other hand is your thinking or reasoning process. This is the lazy side of our thinking. We actually resist using it. It operates to overrule Type 1 when necessary. A simple example of its use might be seen in driving a car when, all of a sudden, you are threatened by an extraneous event–another vehicle runs a red light in front of you, a pedestrian is in the crosswalk, the light turns yellow, etc. A decision has to be made. Reasoning is required. I’m sure by now you get the general idea. Type 2 facilitates decision-making. 

In addition to the facilitation of decision making, Type 2 is used when we read, study, listen, calculate, experience, etc. The more we use this type of our thinking, the better we will  develop our inner database and make better and more reliable decisions, building knowledge, eliminating misinformation, and erasing bias and prejudice in our minds–enabling the effectivity of our Type 1 thinking. But, we don’t like to do that, do we? We would rather take the easy way out. That’s the mental laziness coming out in all of us–a fact of life that feeds our everyday reliance on preconceived notions, opinions, bias, prejudice, and animosities, our level of intelligence notwithstanding. Even the smartest of the smartest is susceptible to this flaw in our nature.

Think about it. We all vote.

Ronald Miller

mtss86@comcast.net  

No comments:

Post a Comment