Translate

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Religion and Government

          As I promised in a previous posting, in my posting today, I want to discuss religion as it might relate to government, i.e. the state, and its separation there from. As you might guess, I wasn’t here in 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was written or in 1789 with the establishment of our Constitution; but, from my reading and study, my understanding is that the average immigrant, i.e. citizen, then was Catholic, Protestant, or Atheist. All other religions or beliefs were a small minority. Also, the values expressed in our Constitution reflect Judeo-Christian values of right and wrong, the sanctity of life, and the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness, including the value that all men are created equal–the basis of our law and values today. Obviously, as I have written in past postings, in reality, all men are not created equal physically, mentally, or status wise; but they are equal in the eyes of God and the law, and have the right to equal opportunity–a right all too often denied them (perhaps another discussion for another day).

          Currently, in our political discussions, many argue heatedly about the separation of church and state and secular government. This separation is not written as such in our Constitution, but it is inferred by a phrase, “wall of separation between church and state” used by Thomas Jefferson and others concerning the intent of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment, used frequently by the Supreme Court. As you know, the First Amendment states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof….” Thus we have the concept of separation and a secular government.

          I am submitting to you my views on this matter. I’m sure you will have yours, and they may very well not be in agreement with mine; but, here goes anyway. I believe in God, the Creator of Heaven and earth. As a Christian, I also believe in Jesus, His Son. You may not believe–many, unfortunately, do not. You not only have that right, but the teachings of Jesus and the Bible specifically give you that right. God gave man free will; and, if you will recall the teachings of Jesus, he affirms that right. Neither God nor Jesus insists you believe. When Jesus was instructing his disciples to go out into the world and spread the Word, you will recall that He told them, regarding those who refused to accept their teaching, to shake the dust from their feet and move on. Who am I to force my Christian beliefs on anyone when neither God nor Jesus did so? You go to your church and I’ll go to mine. I’ll try to inform; I’ll invite you; I’ll urge you; but it ends there.

          At this point, I momentarily digress to make what I believe is an important point for all believers to keep in the forefront of their mind. If you really want to make believers out of non-believers, the best way to do that is to set an appropriate example that they may see your way of life as better than theirs. Any approach that “jams your beliefs down the throats’ of others will always be counterproductive in the long run. This is not easy as none of us are wired to comply with the teachings of Jesus. The Bible tells us that all of us, bar none, are sinners. All a Christian can do is believe and do his best to set an example. I say these things, not to preach, but to establish an understanding of the premises’ on which I stand–to establish a basis for the following.

          God created this world for all of us, those who believe and those who do not. All who have studied the history of Christianity and the Papacy can readily recall the conflict between church and state over the hundreds of years as control of one over the other seesawed back and forth, each striving for power of one over the other; and, I believe, in the final analysis, to the detriment of each. A strict requirement of the believer is that we love our neighbor as ourselves. We don’t have to like them, but we certainly have to love them. Plain and simple, it’s called AGAPE love (See First Corinthians, Chapter 13).

          This is why we must have a separation of church and state–a secular government. There must be room for all of us; we must get along; and, in the end, God must be the Judge. We have all we can do to live our own lives.

Ronald Miller

mtss86@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment